Friday, August 03, 2007

Don't Make Me Do It Again

I'm heading down to Huntington Beach this weekend and there's no way I'm getting in a plane. I'd rather drive the I-5 than put myself through the excoriating experience that now constitutes flying within the continental USA.

Adding up the hours and factoring in getting to the airport a couple of hours ahead of the scheduled departure, allowing for the inevitable delay at the gate, allotting for the stress of being herded like sheep through the dip at the security check, and finally suffering the me-first push-and-shove of the exit from the plane, I've decided to drive. We're usually most comfortable when we're the masters of our own destinies, or at least secure in the belief that we're the masters even if we're not. And that's the illusion served to the masses careening down the nation's highways. I'm buying into the fantasy.

Mr. Loverboy (of www.lacubanagringa.com fame) was due to join The Great Organiser and me for the ride down to HB. He was in Palo Alto. We were mere minutes away. My mobile phone rang.

"Hey, Polished Turd, how's it going?"

"Not bad. We'll be there in a a minute."

"Hey, you know what? I don't think I'm going to head down there with you tonight. They're setting up a crazy party here and I think I'll just get a plane ticket and head down tomorrow."

"Have it your way. We'll see you there."

Evidently Mr. Loverboy doesn't share my disdain for the American domestic airline system. Either that or his mental calculus told him that the benefits derived from a night of partying with college students (read: girls) outweigh the detriments incurred by flying Southwest Airlines to Orange County.

Can you blame him?

3 comments:

Brown said...

If you're going to fly, you might as well be drunk. That don't let you bring cocaine anymore.

I'm just sayin'.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you all the way...except for the "careening down the nation's highways" part. Down in So-Cal, it's more like "inching down the nation's highways" with all the traffic. Good luck. ;)

RBT said...

MR. POOPIE - That's the only reasonable reason for flying. Sure, they charge you up the backside for a pisswater beer, but even a dozen of those will induce a buzz.

LCG - We arrived in HB at around 2am, so whilst we didn't exactly careen, we were at least going the limit. Even at 1am the freeways were busy.