Wednesday, June 20, 2007

A Poet Who Didn't Know It

This dates back a number of years to when I lived in Santa Clara (don't get me started). Whitey and I were sipping coffee at a café in downtown San Jose. Whitey, a smoker, was sucking on a Camel Light. We were minding our own business when a dishevelled and evidently homeless woman walked up to our street side table. Without any prompting or warning she stared directly at Whitey and proceeded to state the following...

I'm Tiger Woods' golf instructor.
I'm Hollywood in San Jose.
You smoke lights,
I smoke crack,
Up in smoke,
Like Cheech and Chong,
Straight from the dumpster.

Once spoken she ambled away down the street. Whitey and I looked at each other in amazement. I hastily wrote down her words and made a point of memorising them.

Sometimes genius lurks where you least expect it.

No comments: