Saturday, June 16, 2007

A Dirty Little Secret

No more long, protracted posts—it's time to shift gear and post something a little quicker and easier to digest.

I'm a gamer, meaning one of my main forms of relaxation involves mucking around on my computer playing whatever game has captivated my attention for the past week or so. These days it's Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

It's a huge game, and if you're brave enough to install it expect it to consume a massive segment of your precious free time. Social engagements will be broken, study neglected and meals skipped. It's that sort of a game. Today I must have blown about four or five hours or so, which was enough to prompt the Great Organiser to question whether or not my time spent playing has now become a debilitating obsession.

The truth is she might be right.

Oblivion is my dirty little secret that's no longer quite so secret, although it remains just as dirty. Right now I'm at level 26, which is still fairly modest for the game. With a total of around 200 playing hours available I've barely made my way through a third of it. The honestly scary part of it all is that I'm tremendously looking forward to the remaining two thirds.

The more I think about it the more I realise just how the right the Great Organiser is in her assessment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I may not be a great organizer, but I'm with The Great Organiser...there is so much more you could be doing with your time. Like stripping paint off of doors using citrus-based products.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the warning. I think I'll pass on this(for now). I am already 70 hours into Wii Zelda. There is some physical activity involved being that it is the Wii and it is in Japanese so I get reading practice. I learn very useful words like crystal, sheath, realm etc.

Unknown said...

I, for one, support a man's right to spend many hours in front of the PC, practicing the dark art of PC gaming. Btw, if you could please be sure to tell Bridget it is, in fact, an art, I'd appreciate it. I don't believe she thinks it is.